Why Your Law Firm Should Consider An In-House Marketing Team

The question often arises: should a law firm hire a full-time, in-house marketing professional or team? From our perspective, if it’s financially feasible, then the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Why, you might ask? Isn’t the purpose of a marketing agency to take care of all these matters? As paradoxical as it may sound, our agency – born from an in-house marketing team at a law firm – firmly believes that having an in-house marketing team is something all law firms should aspire to achieve.

Here are three reasons why:

Cost Savings:

Agency fees can add up to a significant amount over time. By bringing the marketing in-house, you bypass these fees related to management, graphic design, website updates, and more. Of course, hiring and training a dedicated marketing professional requires an initial investment. However, in the long run, if your firm is of a certain size and marketing needs, it could turn out to be a more cost-effective approach.

Intimate Knowledge of Your Firm’s Goals:

An in-house marketing team will have an intimate understanding of your firm’s ethos, objectives, and clients. This intimate knowledge can lead to more effective and targeted marketing strategies that resonate with your audience, giving you a competitive edge.

Agility and Quick Turnarounds:

When the marketing team is a part of your firm, you have the flexibility to swiftly shift strategies, launch new campaigns, or make quick adjustments to existing ones. This speed and agility could be a game-changer in a competitive market.

However, a word of caution – having a dedicated in-house marketer doesn’t mean having someone doing marketing 60% of the time and filling in other roles for the remaining 40%. This approach may lead to a high turnover rate, as passionate marketing professionals will seek opportunities where they can focus fully on their chosen field.

The Main Reason Law Firms Don’t Hire In-House Marketing Teams

The most significant barrier that law firms often cite when considering in-house marketing is the initial investment. Hiring a full-time marketing professional is not a trivial expense, as it often involves a comprehensive benefits package, onboarding, and training costs. Moreover, there is always the risk of turnover if the person realizes that marketing for a law firm isn’t their cup of tea.

This is where the reliability of a marketing agency comes in, providing a stable presence regardless of personnel changes. And this is often why law firms choose to outsource their marketing needs.

In conclusion, the decision between an in-house marketing team and outsourcing to an agency will depend on the specific needs, resources, and goals of your law firm. There’s no one-size-fits-all answer.

OEPMA was born from an in-house marketing team for a large personal injury law firm – we understand this dilemma better than most. If you’re on the fence and need expert advice, don’t hesitate to schedule a free call with us.

We’re here to provide clarity and peace of mind, helping you make the right decision for your firm.

William S. Campbell

With 15 years of marketing experience, William S. Campbell crafts effective and tailored strategies to help businesses succeed.

Share This Post